Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Sweet Aunt to All

I grew up knowing "Mire and Zlate", and as a child it was too confusing the try and differentiate them, those famous Dubrawsky twins. My first memory of Zlate though when I finally was able to make a distinction, was when my family road tripped from Texas to New York. The trip itself was quite the adventure, and the definite highlight was stopping off overnight in Maryland at the Geisinskys. Of course, Zlate was there, not just as a hostess who waits for you to come knockin' on the door, but came outside waving and smiling as if she'd been waiting for us forever. She made us feel so good, and I'm sure anyone reading this knows exactly that quality of which I'm talking about. 

I further got to know Zlate, while living at my grandparents house in high school. My grandfather became sick then, and Zlate would dutifully and excitedly come visit for many Shabbosim. I was always so thrilled when my grandmother would tell me that the Geisinskys were coming for Shabbos. Zlate would come and we would sit around as she would regale all of us with stories of her school, make us laugh with her humor and her wit, and share with us a spirit so generous, animated, and "lebedik". On motzei Shabbos, she usually would buy pizza and ice cream and we'd sit around chatting until the wee hours of the morning. I always thought then, as a 14 year old,that she was hanging out with me for a good time and a little chat, but now I realize that she was giving a homesick girl, a little taste of home. 

If we are taught that from a person's passing "Vehachai yiten el lebo" that the living shall take to heart; I can take to heart many things from my dear aunt a"h. The characteristic of selflessness as Zlate would always put others before herself, without thinking twice. Her ability to be a good listener and a sensitive one at that. A woman who cherished and protected her family, and whose family was always her priority. One who lived life with great enthusiasm and excitement. Kibbud av va'em - the way she honored, respected, and took care of her dear parents. Her general spirit, where she went was always a good time. 

This blog is appropriately entitled "Zlata's impact". I have to say, that when thinking about Zlata and reflecting on her life, that her impact was felt just as strongly when she was still with us. It didn't require much reflection to come up with the qualities that made her great, as they were and are so apparent.

Zlate, you left us all with broken hearts. We love you and miss you terribly. I hope you are fighting the good fight up there for us, and that iyH we shall see you very soon with Moshiach.

With love,
Chanale Naparstek


No comments:

Post a Comment