Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Camp Gan Israel- Rockville 1984-86

I was one of the counselors the first year Benny and Zlata began the camp in Rockville. The Geisinsky's home was our home- day or night. We spent many a Shabbos at their table and sat around and talked until very late- even though we were all exhausted from the week. Benny and Zlata were dedicated to camp- and it was that dedication that motivated our group to return to Rockville for 3 years in a row. The last year I was there, the Geisinsky's gave me a brass door knocker as a gift- and that door knocker has always been on our front door as a reminder of those great summers. When I became a camp director- I tried to emulate the love and dedication that Benny and Zlata displayed to make the summer a great one for my counselors. I learned from them that happy counselors make good counselors. In later years, I brought school groups to Washington, and Zlata prepared BBQ's for our groups- greeting us with a big smile and making all my students feel at home. When my own children were in Maryland for the summer, I always told them to be sure to call Benny and Zlata and send regards. They spent Shabbos with the Geisinsky's and Zlata treated my kids like she treated us when we were there- like one of the family. Since I heard this terrible news on Sunday, I have been in shock and have spent much of the time remembering and cherishing those summers over 25 years ago. I feel blessed to have known Zlata and wish Benny strength in this very difficult time. Hamakom Yinachem eschem besoch shaar avalei Tzion vYerushalayim.
Dovid Smoller
S. Diego

1 comment:

  1. I was a counselor at the camp during one of those first years, and I taught the preschoolers under Zlata. It was my first day camp experience. I was only @16. I remember being very inspired by Zlata and Benny's שיחי dedication to their shlichus, their open home -sleeping in their dining room on Friday night, because their house was full, but they opened it to us counselors. They always went out of their way to make us girls happy.
    Zlata was a demanding director- she demanded the highest standards of herself and of us and we rose to meet her expectations.
    I remember Zlata and Mira שיחי together,before they were married, such bubbly, fun and beatiful girls, both inside and out, that I looked up to and admired.
    Zlata used to tell us the stories of the pranks they played on people who couldnt tell them apart.
    I also distinctly remember during that summer, how proud Zlata was of Sendy and Aidy, and baby Rochie, at the time. She took obvious joy and pride in her children and displayed great love for them.
    It hurts the heart to write these words.
    I Daven that Moshiach should come and bring back your mother, your wife, and take us out of this bitter Galus.
    המקום ינחם אתכם בתוך שער אבלי ציון וירושלים
    Ahuva (Drizin) New
    Boca Raton, Florida

    ReplyDelete