Tuesday, June 15, 2010

(no subject)

Almost twenty years ago I accompanied Zlata to the Women's Chabad Convention in Crown Heights.  For me it was an adventure and weekend away with the "girls".  I stayed across the street at Zlata's Aunt's home I believe and I remember going to the banquet with Shluchos from all over the world.  It was a memory to behold.  We of course went shopping and I kept taking the clothes I had bought out of the bag and admiring them.  I remember her saying that her own mother did the same thing after she bought something she was proud of.  We waited in line for hours to get a dollar from the Rebbe on Sunday.  I wasn't sold on this whole "Chabad/Rebbe" idea but I went along with it because of Zlata.  I remember climbing on chairs winding our way through 770 to get a second with the Rebbe and thinking this is completely crazy!  The crowds were overwhelming so between getting pushed and pulled I was trying to find the holiness in the experience.  That evening, the Rebbe came to speak to the women.  His talk didn't start until after 11pm when he was ushered in and lasted for a number of hours.  The talk ended at 2am and we drove home just in time to go to work the next day. 
Let's just say, I now have 2 sons-in-laws who are Rabbis (one of whom is a shliach) and a son who just got smicha.  A little adventure with Zlata and you never knew what changes were possible in your life!
I miss her terribly but I know that she is looking over everyone she loved encouraging them to have strength to overcome the void she has left and to shine as much light as we can on a world that needs it badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment