Monday, June 21, 2010

Scattered memories

I am one of the many who didn't know Zlata well, but will miss her deeply. 
 
I didn't know her well, but she was always there when I needed her.  Although we weren't close, she dropped everything to be by my side when my oldest was born.  After I moved away, I didn't keep in touch -- I had seen firsthand how busy she always was and didn't want to waste her precious time with a call just to say hello.  But I knew she was there if I needed her, and I was touched when, just a few days before my second child was born, she emailed me out of the blue to ask how I was.
 
I remember how she walked a mile from the hotel to the interim Chabad House one yom tov in the pouring rain, her sheitel drenched, with a smile. 
 
I remember how she always made me feel so at home.
 
Above all, the image of Zlata that stands out in my mind is her sitting quietly on the couch in their living room with her arms around her children (most of whom were well into their teens at the time).  There was so much love in her home.
 
May Zlata's memory give strength to her family, and all of us, until we are reunited, speedily in our days.

No comments:

Post a Comment