Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Memories of Zlata

We only knew Zlata for a little more than a year, but in that time she made a profound impact on each of us.  There are several stories and moments that will help illustrate what a wonderful person she was and what kind of impact she had on us.  We consider ourselves extremely lucky to have been able to know her even for a short time.

 

Along with many other women I often went to the kitchen to chat with Zlata on Shabbat mornings and occasionally she let us help chop vegetables for salad.  Zlata and her daughters never used cutting boards and so I learned to cut up vegetables in my hands.  I've started doing it more often at home because it's often easier for chopping small things.  I will always think of Zlata when I start cutting fruits and vegetables in my hands.

 

A really clear "Zlata moment" happened at Rochie's wedding.  I went up to Zlata to wish her mazal tov and say hello.  She looked at me, gave me a light smack on the arm, and asked in a somewhat offended tone when we were coming to her for Shabbat.  That moment was pure Zlata.  It was her time to be congratulated and celebrate with her family and she was acting like we had done her a personal disservice by not taking advantage of her hospitality again.  That kind of hospitality characterized Zlata for me.  She made you feel that it was totally natural to come and spent Shabbat with her and her family.  Of course you were coming for Shabbat.  How could you even consider not being there?

 

I (Adam) remember, in particular, the loving family atmosphere that Zlata created around her.  We were all sitting the Sukkah after a meal and Zlata was joking with her kids.  At that moment all I could think was what a wonderful family the Geisinskys are and how fortunate I was to know them.  Zlata truly made us feel like we were part of the family too.  Once, we were sitting outside the shul on the bench and Rabbi Benny came by and said in the course of the conversation that Zlata told him she really liked us.  We both remember this moment clearly and how good it felt to know that she thought highly of us.  Her opinion was extremely important to both of us.  I admired Zlata greatly and for that reason it mattered that Zlata liked me.

 

The day after Zlata's passing I saw a rainbow.  This stopped me in my tracks.  Last year during the Three Weeks there was a huge, perfect rainbow and I remember speaking to Zlata about it.  She told me that her father said that rainbows are usually tidings of bad news.  They are Hashem's way of comforting us, especially after the passing of a righteous person.  When I saw the rainbow that Monday evening, I knew it was Zlata's rainbow.

 

Caroline and Adam Friedman



Picture of Zlata's Rainbow



No comments:

Post a Comment