Sunday, June 20, 2010

Love Not Lost

It is an honor and a privilege to look back through the pages of time to find a younger, vibrant Zlata, more deeply intertwined with my own life than I had known.  Fourteen years ago I took a new career path that placed me in an administrative role with a large Jewish agency.  I was also the single parent of a Bar Mitzvah boy.  Both my son and Sendy Geisinky studied with Rabbi Bentzion Geisinsky; Sendy with the promise of a future scholar and my son with one ear glued to his Game Boy and the other to the tape recording that Rabbi G. had kindly provided.

On Shabbos Zlata assumed the uniquely selfless role of Rebbetzin.  Declining pride of place Zlata stood by the back door greeting the women, finding Siddurim and pointing out our place in the service.  Somehow while accomplishing this she also coordinated the kitchen activities (anything from kiddush to a banquet) and supervised the seemingly endless troops of children.  Zlata's welcome was warm and I felt encouraged to confide in her my concerns about my son's Bar Mitzvah.  In an era of lavish catering and entertainment, I was financially unable to compete.  Zlata radiated calm and self assurance as she gently reminded me that the purpose of a Bar Mitzvah was literally just that, to stand before the community and assume the mitzvot of manhood.  Zlata made her kitchen available for kosher preparations and encouraged me to include family, friends and regular congregants by asking them to prepare their specialties.  Zlata helped me make a list of affordable groceries and surprised me by tying bows on small packages of candy.  The Bar Mitzvah was a huge success and I felt my spirit soar as my son was called to the Torah.  I had forgotten about the candy, but turned around at the close of service to see my son pelted with Zlata's candy, " Mazel Tov!".  She had made it sweet indeed.

We will miss you Zlata, but your calm and generous spirit lives on in the lives you touched and the memories you made.

No comments:

Post a Comment