Monday, July 12, 2010

Zlata

B"H

אשת חיל מי ימצא? הרב גזינסקי מצא.

A woman of valor who will find? Rabbi Geisinsky found her, he found Zlata and very sadly lost her.

 

The loss is painful. Zlata is a loss to her husband, her children, and her family. She will be missed by her students, teachers, friends and the whole community. We all grieve and mourn her.  It is difficult to cope with the loss, but we have to do it.  Zlata did not want anybody worrying and being concerned about her during her life, and I am sure that she would not have wanted people to be devastated by her death. We can celebrate her life by sharing memories of her short, and yet full life.

 

I first met Zlata, after my father passed away, and I came to Chabad to say Kaddish. Rabbi Geisinsky and his wife Zlaza welcomed me with open arms. They showed great interest in my deceased father, and made me feel good by telling me that my father who passed away on "Kaf B'av" which in Hebrew is כאב and means pain, died on the same day that an important Chabad Rabbi died. I don't know why, but this eased my pain. The thought that my father is being in good company, comforted me.

 

I continued coming to Chabad because I felt comfortable there. It felt like being at home. I got attached to the Geisinsky family. I built a special bond with Zlata. We had a lot in common, both being involved in early childhood education. She always showed interest in the wellbeing of my family, and was excited to hear about my twin grandchildren, telling me that she is a twin herself. We would talk about our children, grandchildren, and the children we educate in school. I was honored when she invited me to her daughter's wedding. It was a pleasure watching her at the wedding, pouring her love towards her daughter, along with giving attention to every guest that was there.

 

Zlata was a great cook. I was always looking forwards to Shabbat with the Geisinskys. I loved the  "cholent" she made. It reminded me of home. It reminded me of my mother's excellent cooking. When we came on Shabbat to the synagogue, Rabbi Geisinsky would say jokingly: Are you here for my part of the service or Zlata's? Well, it was a pleasure to combine the spiritual with the culinary.

 

Zlata was a good listener. She always wanted to know what ails you, but she did not talk about the things that ail her. She always cared about others. She was worried about her parents, family, and friends, but she did not divulge to others the pain that she was afflicted with. She did not want to become a burden to anyone. She always gave attention to others, and was touched by any attention that was given to her, as small as it was. Last year, I enjoyed celebrating her birthday with her.

 

Zlata has been a real "Eshet Chayil" that will me missed by all. She left many memories to many people. We will always remember her fondly.

 

Coming to the the Chabad synagogue is not going to be the same without her.

 

 

While I, Varda Cohen, have known Zlata for a relatively short time, her impact on my life will last forever.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment