Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Memories of Rebbetzin Chaya Zlata of Blessed Memory

Dear Rabbi Geisinsky and family,
Rebbetzin Zlata exemplified the qualities of virtue and nobility of spirit, the midahs of selflessless and humility, the wisdom of a much older woman(eventwenty years ago),and the extraordinary perception to understand another's struggles and to provide unconditional support.
There was no limit to chesed of Rebbetzin Zlata of blessed memory. Her empathy, warmth and sense of humor laced all her dealings with me and my family. My fond memories of Zlata go back over twenty years to the original Rockville Chabad House, continuing on to the Potomac Chabad Shule, to Camp Gan Izzy and to the current BCC Chabad House.
Even though I have countless memories of Zlata's chesed, the one memory that is prominent in my mind is the time when I told her about my father, of blessed memory, who was very ill. I was trying to deal with my father's suffering and my pain because he had several serious illnesses.Zlata listened to my account of my father's condition, and with a wise and loving heart, she recommended that I say tehillim for him- specifically the psalm representing his age plus one for his next birthday year).
I took her advice and faithfully recited the recommended psalms for him for seven years, added psalms for other people in need of a refuah and also recited psalms for my children for Hashem's blessings. In fact, when I learned that Zlata was seriously ill, my first response was to learn her Hebrew name to recite tehillim for her, to daven for her and to enlist others to do the same.
I continue to recite tehillim on a regular basis which provide me with comfort and an increase in my emunah.
Now when I recite my daily tehillim, I think of Rebbetzin Chaya Zlata, of blessed memory, and credit her with this elevating, comforting mitzvah.
I thank Hashem that I was given the extraordinary opportunity to know and to grow from my relationship with Rebbetzin Chaya Zlata.
May her memory be a blessing.
With profound sorrow and deep appreciation.
Ann Goldstein

No comments:

Post a Comment